Beyoğlu Eye Training and Research Hospital started serving as the first Municipal Hospital unit in a rented house in the Kuledibi area between 1865 and 1870.
In 1875, the unit, which could no longer physically meet the needs, was moved to a large rented mansion in Tophane under the name SIXTH DISTRICT MUNICIPALITY MECRUHIN HOSPITAL. Due to a fire that broke out in 1893, the hospital was forced to move again.
The hospital, which continued its activities in a rented building on Kumbaracı Slope until 1900, was moved to another newly rented building in 1900, and in 1901, it was transferred to a 2-story building with 35 beds built in the garden of this building. In 1908, in the building donated to the Municipality, the name of the hospital was changed to "BEYOĞLU ZÜKÜR HOSPITAL" and it continued to provide services.
Due to the occupation of the building by the French and later by the Russians until 1924, the hospital first moved to Çapa and then to Şişli, continuing to operate in other buildings.
In 1948, it was transferred by the Governor and Mayor of Istanbul at the time, Dr. Lütfi Kırdar, to the building where it currently operates and which was known as the British Hospital, under the name "MUNICIPALITY BEYOĞLU HOSPITAL" with a capacity of 102 beds. Although this building was a hospital built for British sailors in 1904, it was operated as a Private Greek hospital for a while after the British; after the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923, it was transferred to the Red Crescent and used as the "Rabies Hospital and City Institute of Hygiene."
From this date to the present day, additions have been made to the main building, the bed capacity has been increased, and the hospital has continued its activities in many branches.
The hospital, which was transferred from the Municipality to the Ministry of Health in 1983, was named "Istanbul Beyoğlu Training and Research Hospital" in December 1998.
With the name change made in training hospitals in 2000, it continued to serve under the name "Prof. Dr. N. Reşat Belger Istanbul Beyoğlu Training and Research Hospital." The hospital, whose name changed in May 2000, provided services in various branches until September, after which, with the approval of the ministry, it was transformed into a Special Branch Training and Research Hospital Providing Specialty Training in the Field of Eye Diseases.
Following these developments, the name of the hospital became "PROF. DR. N. REŞAT BELGER BEYOĞLU EYE TRAINING and RESEARCH HOSPITAL" on March 1, 2001.
Our institution has been included in the joint use protocol with the University of Health Sciences as of 29.04.2016, and since 24.06.2016, it has started to serve under the name T.R. MINISTRY OF HEALTH ISTANBUL BEYOĞLU REGION PUBLIC HOSPITALS UNION U.H.S. PROF. DR. N. REŞAT BELGER BEYOĞLU EYE TRAINING and RESEARCH HOSPITAL.